Re: Gaussian ordination

From: Agustin Lobo (alobo@ija.csic.es)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 11:40:38 MET

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Daniel Chessel wrote:

> Pour les amateurs, l'ordination gaussienne est une sorte d'AFC où le calcul
> de la position moyenne des espèces est remplacée par l'ajustement à un
> modèle non linéaire.
>
> Source :
> Gauch, H. G. J., G. B. Chase, and R. H. Whittaker. 1974. Ordination of
> vegetation samples by Gaussian species distributions. Ecology 55:1382-1390.
> Disponible à :
> http://www.messiah.edu/HPAGES/FACSTAFF/CHASE/ARTICLES/gauchChase/gauchWhittaker.htm
>
> Non, on ne trouve pas cette méthode dans ADE-4 qui ne contient que des
> méthodes basées sur la géométrie euclidienne.

May I ask why? Why do we go on pretending things are linear?
I have the impression that this type of non-linear
analysis is not often used, it's just a matter of
complexity in the programming and/or computational requirements
or are there other (theoretical) drawbacks?

In the paper you mention (in the 70's), it says
"The distortion in indirect gradient analysis is a consequence of
assumptions in conflict with knowledge of species distributions"

Agus

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra (CSIC)
Lluis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona SPAIN
tel 34 93409 5410
fax 34 93411 0012