discriminant analysis

From: Eduardo Dutra de Armas (edarmas@esalq.usp.br)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 20:35:34 MET

Hi ADE users

I'm a new user of R and this is the first time I adopt discriminant
analysis. I'm using the ade4 package to distinguish treatments with
three repetitions, from which color was measured based in 3 variable (L,
a and b). I also analysed data in Systat 9.0 and results were different
from that of R, mainly in ellipse size that was larger in Systat. My
doubt is if this ellipse is a confidence interval, how to control its
significance? I tried to change cellipse in s.class function, so that
with value 6, the result was similar to that from Systat. But I think
that the value must be calculated to provide the confidence ellipse.
Then, I don't know what is correct. Please, could someone help me about
this questions?

Best Regards!
Eng. Agr., M.Sc. Eduardo Dutra de Armas
Centro de Energia Nuclear na Agricultura (CENA/USP)
Laboratório de Ecotoxicologia
Av.Centenário 303, C.P. 96, CEP 13400-970
Piracicaba, SP, Brasil - Fone: (55-19)34294761 - Fax: (55-19)34294610
(Áreas de atuação: Poluição de solo e água, Dinâmica Ambiental de
pesticidas,
Biodegradação, Microbiologia Ambiental)