Re: Phyto-flou

From: Francois Gillet (Francois.Gillet@bota.unine.ch)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 14:04:19 MET DST

Agustin Lobo wrote:

> I disagree (in part). Although it is true that the stat. analysis is
> dependent upon scientific conceptions, it is not true that clustering
> species using their abundances in relevees as descriptors necessarily
> implies a "sigmatist" conception. Clustering, in this context, is much
> more "neutral" than that: just finds sets of species that tend to be
> found together in the same relevees. It is the explanation to this
> observation which implies a conception of nature. In my own
> point of view, this is just the consequence of (i) several gradients
> introducing each their own ordination, (ii) second-order interactions
> among species introducing complexity and non-linearity. These
> 2 reasons promote that the co-occurrence of some species be
> more likely than expected under an independent and linear
> ordering of each species to each gradient.
>
> I also would like to add that a "flexible" classification
> goes beyond the concept of fuzzy classification. A flexible classification
> can be achieved using maximum likelihood but considering the
> vector of likelihoods as well as the maximum one. That is,
> we can define few, clear typical communities, and understand
> that most individual relevees will be somehow
> intermediate, according to their likelihood to each of the
> models.

I completely agree with this point of view!!!

If you are interested with such flexible classification mixed with ordination, I suggest you to try out Mulva-5 software, which you can download at this address:

http://www.wsl.ch/land/MULVA/M5load.html

I organise with O. Wildi and others a postgraduate seminar and practical course (free of charge!) about "Statistical & dynamic approaches to ecological modelling", september 15-17, 1999 in Neuchâtel. Please contact me if you are interested!

François

--
      *   Francois Gillet
      *   Maître-assistant